Every day, the sun rises in the east, saunters across the sky and sets in the west. Rinse, repeat, and die. The very rhythm of nature creates routine. But as Amos Bronson Alcott said,
“The less routine, the more life.”
Everyone is looking for more life. According to Amos, the answer is less routine. Could it be so simple? Would I experience more life by choosing a different road to travel today?
James Altucher says ideas are the currency of life. To exercise his creativity, he creates a daily list of 10 (for example, 10 books that he could write, 10 recipes he wants to learn to cook, etc.) The practice of daily idea generation helps him stay creative.
I thought it would be interesting to make today a “do it different” day, looking for simple ways to break my routine and do things differently. So in the pursuit of more life, below is my list of 10 ways to break my routine and experience a little more life.
- Unplug for the day and take a break from technology
- Go to a new coffee shop
- Ask the barista to surprise me with something new, a drink of their choosing
- Go to the pound and look at puppies
- Wear the clothes in my closet I haven’t worn in years
- Call someone I haven’t spoken to in a decade
- Find a new podcast and listen to the first episode
- Learn to play a new song on the piano
- Take a nap
- Go to bed before midnight
As Paulo Coelho said, “If you think adventure is dangerous, try routine, it is lethal.” Take the opportunity to create your own “do it different day”. Share your ideas, as I’ll be looking for less routine and more life.
May your day be filled with new and unusual experiences.